Now more than ever, e-commerce sites have become extremely popular with consumers. Over the past few years e-commerce sites have shown significant growth and have quickly become one of the largest shopping outlets. As e-commerce sales are on the rise, e-commerce business owners must figure out what works, why e-commerce is so popular, and how to continue to increase sales and not lose customers. Acquiring new customers and growing business with existing customers is the foundation of all successful business endeavors whether online or offline.
Pros of Having an E-commerce Site
- Typical stores may seem glamorous but the reality of it is you truly save money with e-commerce. No rent, no utility bills, no staff is necessary to hire at first. Starting an e-commerce site is not nearly as huge of an investment as buying a store.
- Store hours do not exist in the world of the Internet. Items can be sold 24 hours a day. This is extremely profitable for owners.
- Increased exposure for your brand. Even if your site is slow to take off, being on the internet in any fashion can only raise awareness for your brand. This is a win-win situation for almost any company.
- Some might think that is it easier to satisfy a customer over the internet, but there are several factors that need to be taken into account when dealing with electronic commerce. The less face to face interaction that you have with customers, the more important it is for the little interaction you do have to be positive. Well managed customer engagement is extremely important as well as customer service.
Things to Keep In Mind
- Keep pace with the consumer
- Maintain a good online presence
- As the internet is sometimes seen as less trust-worthy, it is important to keep the customer’s confidence high regarding your business practices and safe nature of your site.
- Along the same lines, remember that with added exposure comes added responsibility. Make sure that the increased exposure remains positive.
- Ecommerce must be efficient and simple. If your site is too complicated or tricky, consumers will simply go to their favorite store in person and buy what they need. Site owners must remember that there is a generation of people who are slowly beginning to learn to rely more on the internet than ever. As this is new to them, it is vital that you make buying from your site as easy as possible.
Today’s consumer is redefining customer-company communications. Sometimes referred to as Consumer 2.0 in reference to their use of Web 2.0 tools and social communications, they span all ages and lifestyles, wield unprecedented power, and are a force whose expectations continually rise as they encounter extreme advances in real-time communications and mobility. Take advantage of these new technological opportunities to benefit your company!
About the Author
Portia S. is a writer for Aspect.com, a company that provides solutions at the intersection of Consumer 2.0 and Enterprise 2.0 by helping the world’s leading organizations engage with today’s consumers on their terms. Aspect is recognized by global industry analysts for its market-leading capabilities in workforce optimization, outbound dialing and inbound ACD routing, and is a leading Microsoft National Systems Integrator. Follow Aspect on Twitter for updates on their award-winning customer contact and Microsoft platform solutions.